Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls. The Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) launched the Future is Female in January 2017. The programme will champion and advocate for gender equality at all levels of Olympic, and Commonwealth Sport in Trinidad and Tobago.
Future is Female will seek through collaboration and partnerships to encourage and empower increased participation of women and girls in sport and physical activity not only as athletes, but also coaches, sports medicine and sport science providers, administrators, leaders and sports media.
The TTOC Future is Female programme intends to host workshops, seminars, mentorship and provide access to funding aimed at removing obstacles that are real and/ or perceived and developing solutions that are sustainable and impactful.
Equal opportunity for women and girls; equal chances to succeed at all levels of sport. To encourage and empower increased participation of women and girls in sport and physical activity not only as athletes, but also coaches, sports medicine and sport science providers, administrators, leaders and sports media.
1. To ensure that Team TTO female athletes are given the help they need to translate and elevate their talent to the Olympic podium
2. To use workshops and seminar as a platform to educate and generate awareness on social issues that negatively impact women and girls
3. To promote, educate and champion for sustainable positive social change and facilitate opportunities for women and girls in sport
4. Ensure full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision making in Olympic and Commonwealth sport
5. End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls
The future is female programme will work in three phases all targeted at empowering women and girls to foster sporting excellence and a lifelong passion for sport.
Phase I: First Female Olympic Medallist
In the context of women and Olympic sport, there are certain aspects related to women and girls that must be incorporated in respect of long term female athlete development. As part of ten or more Olympic gold medals by 2024, the TTOC must lead the way in addressing the issues and creating solutions and options.
To ensure that Team TTO female athletes have all the support they need to achieve their sporting goals, athletes require the necessary funding to train and prepare to compete against the best athletes in the world.
Phase II: Workshops and Seminars
The TTOC workshops aim to raise awareness and empower women and girls that they are valuable and have a voice, by providing these young female athletes and leaders with information and tools to use. The workshops will target several issues that female athletes and leaders face regularly such as gender inequality, body image, physiology, media, etc.
Phase III: Mentorship
Future is Female will entail a mentorship programme that connects female leaders and change leaders with Team TTO women and girls to cause sustainable positive social change and facilitate opportunities for women and girls in sport.
The target groups for the Future is Female project include:
• Athletes from the Elite athlete pool
• Young Female Athletes (Ages 12 – 16)
• Young Female Leaders (administrators, media, sport medicine service providers, coaches and athletes)
• At Risk / Young Females in Rural Areas and High Risk Communities
• Body Image
• Goal Setting
• Financial Planning
• Gender Equality
• Life Skills
• Conflict Resolution
• Career Planning